Saturday, March 2, 2013

Do You Use Interactive Programs?

As a mother who is formally homeschooling three children and informally homeschooling two more, interactive programs have helped me educate my kids. I can sit between three kids on three separate computers and allow them to learn material from a fun, engaging script with animated characters, while I give individual help to each one as needed.

While I cannot just turn on the computer and run off (nor would I want to), I can use it to keep the education going with one child while I help another. Sometimes I have to re-explain something to my kids after the program already explained it, but it helps to have these programs available as a supplement to my teaching. And sometimes I learn something, too!

Out favorite program right now is Smart Tutor. It is NOT a standalone curriculum since a topic can be covered in 20 minutes, but it does cover all of the math and reading material that a child in 1st through 5th grade would cover in school. It just does it more quickly. Instead, we use worksheets and workbooks to supplement this, so that they get several days on a topic, instead of just 20 minutes.

Other programs like this that we use occasionally are Time4Learning, Let's Go Learn and Reading Eggs.

What interactive programs do you use in your homeschool curriculum?

No comments:

Post a Comment